Monday, March 25, 2013

Late in the Game


Can I just say how much I loved The Hunger Games? I know I'm super late to the party on this one, but wow! I finished half the book in one day.

I'm not much on reading young adult novels, so that's why it took me so long to take my friends up on their recommendation (after this, maybe I'll read a bunch more). Saw the movie, and it was enjoyable, but just not the same thing. I found Suzanne Collins' writing style to be practically invisible (which is good). So many times, I got pulled into the story so fully, I was unaware of my surroundings (which is bad, because I often read it on the MTA subway, or I'd be at home and my husband would say something and startle me).

One of the biggest things I'll take away from this experience, as a writer, is that something is always happening in this book. Nothing sags. Something bad happens, they resolve it, another problem comes right after. Keeps those pages turning. I'm eager to read the rest of the series now.

What is a book (or series) you've been reluctant to read, but ended up loving?

No comments:

Post a Comment