Sunday, August 19, 2012

Can I have your autograph?

Jennifer Weiner. She probably hates me
Having a book autographed is one of the most fun things I can think of to do. For one thing, usually the author usually reads something from her latest work and/or tells an anecdote about her life. After that, "The Line" starts. "The Line" takes about half an hour to get through, and I use that time to think of some witty thing to say to the author. She'll be so wowed: I'll get her to read my book and tell other people to buy it, and I'll sell a whole bunch of copies because of her. But as "The Line" gets shorter and I can see exactly how much time the author is spending with each person, I start panicking and going over my lines again.

Author: Hey! Thanks for coming by! (Autographs my book)
Me: Oh my God, your books are so great, you know, I'm a writer too!
Author: (forced polite expression) What do you write?
Me: Uh, well, you know. Haha! Whatever I want! Mysteries mostly. Sometimes with a little paranormal. But you know, not like ... anything with vampires or anything.
Author: Okay. (gives the "move along" face)
Me: Maybe one day you'll come to one of my readings!
Author: ("Please leave" face)
Me: Okay thanks!

I leave feeling good about myself, but then I run through the conversation again as I walk to the subway, and I swear I'll never speak to another human being ever again. Awkwardness aside, I still enjoy doing it, and I've seen the same authors multiple times, though don't always talk to them. I'm not stupid.

Request a Kindlegraph

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,

    I can totally relate to this. In fact, it was an awkward signing experience that led to the idea behind Kindlegraph. In my case, I was at an author reading/signing in the summer of 2010. After the author finished his reading, he invited people to come up and have their books signed. I felt very awkward since I had the author's book on my Kindle. As the line started growing I felt even more awkward because I didn't want to take away from someone else's time with the author just to say "Hi, I loved your book but you won't be able to sign it for me."

    It was about a year later that I began developing Kindlegraph. Since that time I've heard from many authors who've really enjoyed being able to interact with their readers no matter which format of their books those readers may own and no matter where in the world those readers happen to live.

    Regards,
    Evan Jacobs, Founder
    http://www.kindlegraph.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed with the Kindlegraph website! I'm excited about connecting with my readers this way ... especially since I don't think I'm the "reading aloud in public" type.

      Delete