Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas in NY


Christmas has almost been a sore point for me in the past few years. Either fatigue from commercialization hampered my mood, or the inability to see my family and participate in what made Christmas special in the first place made me more depressed than jolly. When you're married with no kids and the nearest family member is 1000 miles away, it's hard to have your standard under-the-tree present-ripping session on the 25th.

This year, I'm living in Queens with a roommate (several generations older than I) because of school, so it's like the one sliver of family I had is now living 2+ hours away (with my cat). Instead of moping, I've decided to continue the tradition my dad started twenty-some-odd years ago and go look at Christmas lights. Fortunately, Manhattan is a mere subway ride away, so I have access to all kinds of wonderful sights.

Near Rockefeller Center 
At Rockefeller Center

Skating rink at Rockefeller Center (spent an evening in the area, can you tell?)

Macy's at 34th Street

More to come... 

No comments:

Post a Comment